Footlite Musicals needs help of all sorts, and anyone is welcome. Not an actor but still want to be involved? There are plenty of things to do behind the scenes and we need you! Have an interest in fundraising? We are seeking volunteers to join the Development Committee to help with fundraising, grant-writing, and soliciting show sponsors and advertisers.
Sign up for our email list to get regular updates (see below). Want to know the latest volunteer activities? Join our Footlite Volunteers Facebook Group.
Footlite Musicals is always seeking Pit Orchestra volunteers. Individual directors and or musical directors will determine who will participate in the ensemble, either by selection or audition. The amount of rehearsal time needed will vary from show to show and will depend on the difficulty level of the musical. Due to Encore Association regulations, all work must be on a voluntary basis.
A general schedule for orchestra time commitments that can be expected are; 2 or 3 rehearsals before tech week, 4 rehearsals during tech week, and 7-14 performances over 2 or 3 weekends depending on where the show falls in our schedule.
Please note, all submission information will be held in a database maintained by Footlite’s musical directors. Directors will call to fill positions as needed. Musicians will be called only when positions are available!
Click here to view the bylaws of Footlite Musicals.
Forms & Resources
- Download the Footlite Expense Form in Excel (calculates the total) or as a printable PDF Expense Form. Completed forms for show expenses should be signed by the Producer or Director for approval and sent to email@example.com or left in the Treasurer’s inbox in the board room.
- Want to get your expense reimbursement deposited directly to your bank account? Complete the Direct Deposit Form and send to firstname.lastname@example.org. This form only needs to be completed once. We will send your information to the bank and destroy the original form.
- View Instructions for Sales Tax Exempt Purchases
- Download Footlite’s General Sales Tax Exemption Certificate
- View the Production Manual
Directing at Footlite
Footlite Musicals seeks director proposals for every season. Proposals are typically requested in early Fall. Watch for news or sign up for our email list (see below).
Overview of the Process
Our season consists of:
- Four Mainstage productions
- September, March and May for 3 weeks/11 performances
- A November holiday production for 4 weeks/14 performances
- A January cabaret-style production for 3 weeks/9 performances
- A July Young Adult (age 18-25) production for 3 weeks/11 performances
- An August Young Artist (age 13-18) production for 2 weeks/7 performances
We typically seek to balance our season in the following way:
- Young Adult and Young Artist shows often work best when there is name recognition, as it is a challenging time to attract big audiences. Both shows should be very mindful of the time constraints for building their sets.
- September and May: premiere or other highly recognized, popular show to start and end the season with excitement.
- November: a holiday or family friendly offering likely to attract large audiences.
- The January cabaret production also has limited time for set construction, so small shows and casts work best. On-stage seating means intimate productions play well.
- March: an art or “theatre people” show, as this is often our most challenging time slot to attract audiences, regardless of the title.
Interested directors should submit the following items via email to email@example.com:
- Title of show. You may submit multiple shows. Please indicate your top choice.
- A description of your concept for the show (maximum of two pages).
- Director’s theatrical resume.
- Proposed production staff including but not limited to Producer, Stage Manager, Music Director (or Vocal Director/Conductor), Costume Designer, and Choreographer. Lighting Designer, Sound Designer, Technical Director and Properties are also recommended at this time. Any of these individuals who are tentative must be indicated.
- Any time slot requirements.
The Board forwards submissions to the Show Selection Committee, who does the work of recommending a season. The committee will schedule time to interview your team in October, with final decisions made before the end of the year.
Qualifications to direct at Footlite
Footlite prefers directors new to our theater first serve as an assistant director. Being the largest community theatre facility in the area, working with only volunteers and no permanent staff, we face unique challenges. Directors who have only worked in smaller venues often underestimate the complexity of mounting a Footlite production.
It is our desire to welcome new directors to Footlite, but it’s critical we make informed decisions. If you have not previously AD’ed at Footlite, please read the following carefully:
- Your proposed staff must include at least one producer who has produced or directed a show at Footlite.
- The committee will contact you to setup a time for a required interview in October. Work to ensure the majority of your staff can attend.
- A seasoned, experienced staff will make your production run much smoother, and increases the chances the committee will choose your proposal. Consider using Footlite veterans, or include brief biographical information on any staff new to Footlite.
- We are specifically looking to see that your lighting designer, technical director and stage manager has experience at Footlite or a venue of comparable size.
Questions? Contact Footlite Musicals by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your interest in Footlite Musicals!